*By Megan Deppen*
Are you interested in taking a spin class, but you’re not quite sure what to expect? Well, look no further because I’m here to give you some tips on what you should know if you’re just beginning spin and what you might consider if you end up making it part of your regular workout routine.
- Adjusting the bike – This is critical to know because if the bike isn’t adjusted properly, your workout will be affected. First, you will want to move the seat slider to about the middle of the range. Next, make sure the top of the saddle is in line with the top of your thigh. Finally, the handlebars should be in line with the saddle or a little higher for extra comfort. Don’t worry if you’re having trouble trying to adjust your bike, usually the fitness instructor will help you. If no one is around to help you, here’s a great video to watch that demonstrates how to adjust your bike.
- Don’t overdo it and pace yourself – I remember at my first spin class, I ended up overdoing it. I went all out in the first 15 minutes and was burnt out for the next 30 minutes of the workout. Spin is a great workout, but like anything, it’s best to pace yourself and build up your stamina, especially when you’re first starting out.
- Your butt will most likely hurt – Oftentimes it takes a few classes to get used to sitting in the saddle, but don’t worry the butt pain won’t last forever!
- Don’t forget to hydrate and bring a towel – After sweating off all of those calories, you will definitely need some H20 to refuel and a sweat towel.
If you are instantly addicted to spin after your first class like I was, I recommend investing in a few other items:
- Spin Shoes – When I first started spinning, I didn’t even know spin shoes were a thing, but they really do make a difference with how you ride. The pair I purchased were from Amazon. Also, to note, they do run small. I had to go up two shoe sizes until I got a pair that fit properly.
- Bike Shorts – A good pair of cushioned bike shorts is never a bad idea. The shorts I have are similar to these.
- Spin Bike – If you just can’t get enough of spin and end up investing in a bike of your own, check out the Sunny Bike from Amazon. It’s a great value and one of the best items I have purchased for my home gym.
Are you interested in trying a spin class? Share your comments below.