*By: Linz Bordner*
Here’s a Super Soup to serve for your Super Bowl festivities! It’s the Ultimate Potato Soup and it’s rich and hearty in flavor. It’s made in just one pot and is loaded with bacon, sour cream, cheddar cheese, and creamy potato goodness. You may need to squeeze in an extra workout after this one!
6 strips (uncooked) bacon cut into small pieces
3 Tbsp butter (unsalted or salted)
1 medium yellow onion chopped (about 1.5 cup)
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 ½ lbs. gold potatoes peeled and diced into pieces no larger than 1” (about 6 large potatoes)
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
2/3 cups heavy cream
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
¼-1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
2/3 cup sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese, chives, and additional sour cream and bacon for topping, optional
1. Place bacon pieces in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat and cook until bacon is crisp and browned.
2. Remove bacon pieces and set aside, leaving fat in the pot.
3. Add butter and chopped onion and cook over medium heat until onions are tender (3-5 minutes).
4. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
5. Sprinkle the flour over the ingredients in the pot and stir until smooth (use whisk if needed).
6. Add diced potatoes to the pot along with chicken broth, milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and ancho chili powder. Stir well.
7. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork (about 10 minutes).
8. Reduce heat to simmer and remove approximately half of the soup to a blender (be careful, it will be hot!) and puree until smooth (half is about 5 cups of soup, but just eyeballing the amount will be fine. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender).
9. Return the pureed soup to the pot and add sour cream and reserved bacon pieces, stir well.
10. Allow soup to simmer for 15 minutes before serving.
11. Top with additional sour cream, bacon, cheddar cheese, or chives. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Sugar Spun Run.