*By: Linz Bordner *
This week’s Souper Sunday feature is Coconut Curry Soup. Chicken, chickpeas, hearty greens, and an array of Thai spices make this soup extra healthy and delicious! It is also super easy to make and will take you about 30 minutes total. We like to serve with warmed pita bread for delightful dipping!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 – 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 14 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 – 14 oz. cans coconut milk (preferably full fat)
- 1-2 tbsp. red curry paste*
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- Juice of one lime
- 1.5 lb. chicken breasts, sliced thin
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale, spinach or chard
- Salt to taste
1. Sauté onions and peppers in olive oil over medium heat. Sauté until onions are just tender. Add garlic and cook for more minutes. Add tomatoes, curry paste, chicken stock and chickpeas and bring to rapid simmer.
2. Stir until paste is dissolved. Add coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice, bring back to a simmer and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add chicken and cook for 10 minutes at a simmer until chicken is cooked through. Season with salt and add kale/spinach. Cook for 3 more minutes. Serve as is or with warmed pita bread sprinkled with parmesan.
*Note: Use less curry paste if you don’t like it with a little “kick.”
Recipe courtesy of The Modern Proper.