*By: Linz Bordner*
Tikka Masala is a staple Indian dish you may have heard of before. Juicy pieces of chicken are simmered in a cream-based sauce with an array of fragrant spices added. Garam masala blend includes key spices such as black pepper, dried chilies, cinnamon, cardamom, and coriander, which gives the tikka masala a warm, earthy flavor. We like to serve with warm pita bread cut into triangles, which makes great for dipping! It’s flavorful, healthy, and super easy to prepare, which makes for a desirable Sunday meal!
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 45 min
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. Garam masala spice mix
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 oz.) can full fat coconut milk
- 1-2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken or 4 cups shredded chicken
1. Heat coconut oil over med-high heat in heavy soup pot. Sauté the onion for 4 minutes then add garlic for 3 more minutes. Add cayenne pepper, garam masala, ginger, cumin, turmeric, and cinnamon. Sauté for 3 minutes longer until spices are fragrant.
2. Add to the pot, 2 cups of chicken stock, tomatoes and coconut cream. Simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Using an immersion blender, or stand blender, purèe soup until smooth and creamy. Season with salt and add shredded chicken.
Recipe courtesy of The Modern Proper.