By: Christi Shingara
Ice cream season is still upon us and with the extreme heat and humidity I’ve found myself craving a familiar childhood treat…ice cream sandwiches! I went to my local grocery store to grab some and soon found out that the many boxes I picked up contained a long list of ingredients I couldn’t pronounce, otherwise known as chemicals. So, I decided to give it a try and make my own. Surprisingly, it was easier than I thought and the end result is quite a refreshing treat!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 gallon ice cream, any flavor (if you want to make homemade ice cream check out We All Scream for Homemade Ice Cream!)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter the bottom of a 15×11 sheet pan and then line it with parchment paper, leaving enough to hang over the sides.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Save for later.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, slowly melt the butter, chocolate, vanilla, and salt together, stirring constantly. Once melted, remove from heat.
- Stir the brown and white sugars into the chocolate mixture. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring until well combined. Fold in the flour mixture.
- Using a spatula, spread the batter into a thin, even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- You will know when it is down when the brownie has puffed up just a little, and the top should look dry.
- Let cool completely. Once cool, use the parchment sides to lift the brownie slab out of the pan. Transfer to a large cutting board.
- Cut the brownie in half down the middle. Use a spatula or knife and run it between brownie slabs and the parchment.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over the baking sheet. Leave enough hanging over the edges to wrap the entire brownie once you’ve finished assembling the ice cream sandwich.
- Place one of the brownie slabs on the plastic wrap.
- Remove the ice cream from the fridge or freezer and place it in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat it on low to medium-low just until it reaches the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- Spread the softened ice cream in an even layer over the brownie slab on the plastic wrap lined baking sheet. Top with remaining brownie slab. Wrap in the plastic wrap, and freeze for at least two hours.
- Remove the ice cream sandwich from the freezer. Place on cutting board. Use a sharp knife to cut into 6 rectangle or 12 square-shaped ice cream sandwiches. Re-wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
*** Recipe courtesy of Simply Recipes***
Have a favorite ice cream sandwich recipe? Let me know in the comments below!