*By: Linz Bordner*
The school year is in full swing and if packing your child’s lunch has got you singing the “Lunch Box Blues”, trying some new, healthy options can help keep things fun and interesting. The key to packing a balanced lunch they’ll want to eat is including a variety of food groups and switching it up daily.
Below are a few fun lunch ideas that will make lunchtime the best part of the day!
- Two 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 slices jarred roasted red peppers, halved
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 black olive slices
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Quarter the tortillas, then use a paring knife to trim each quarter to the shape of an arch with a pointed top. Using the paring knife or kitchen shears, cut out the jagged shape of a shark’s mouth, about 1 1/4 inches wide and 3/4 inch tall, in the bottom third of the arch in 4 of the tortilla pieces. These will be the top tortillas.
- Assemble the quesadillas: Divide the cheese among the 4 bottom tortillas. Place a strip of roasted red pepper across the bottom third of each bottom tortilla and arrange a top tortilla over it, making sure the red shows through the cut-out mouths.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange the 4 shark quesadillas in the skillet. Cook until golden brown and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving plate. Dip the black olive slices in the sour cream and place 2 on each shark quesadilla for the eyes, using the sour cream to make them adhere.
- Serve with the remaining sour cream.
Recipe by: Food Network
Apple Cheese Wraps
- 1 granny smith apple
- 1 slice lemon
- 2 slices cheddar cheese, cut in half
- 2 slices deli turkey or ham, cut in half
- Slice the apple into 1/2 inch thick slices. Rub the apple with the lemon wedge to prevent from going brown.
- Slice the cheddar cheese into 1/2 inch wide slices and the ham in 1/2 or in 1/4 (the ham needs to be large enough to wrap around the apple).
- Place an apple slice and a cheese slice on top of the deli meat and fold over deli meat to wrap.
Recipe By: Weelicious
Mini BLT Wraps
- 6 (6 inch) small flour tortillas
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- about 2 1/2 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 10-12 pieces of bacon cooked and crumbled
- In a small bowl combine tomatoes and mayonnaise. Spread about 1/4 cup of the mixture onto each tortilla. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Layer lettuce and bacon on top.
- Roll tightly and slice in half at a diagonal.
- Secure with a toothpick for easy eating. Store in the refrigerator.
Recipe by: The Girl Who Ate Everything
Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Burritos
- 2 Small / Fajita Flour Tortillas
- 4 tablespoons Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 tablespoons Strawberry Jam, Jelly, or Preserves
- 2 bananas, peeled
- Place tortillas on a paper towel and microwave for 10 seconds.
- Spread 2 tablespoons peanut butter on each tortilla. Add 1 tablespoon jelly to each tortilla.
- Place the banana near the edge of the tortilla and fold up the ends of the tortilla. Roll-up and enjoy!
Recipe by: Culinary.net
- 1 apple
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- Cut four thick slices from apple.
- Spread two slices with one tablespoon of peanut butter each.
- Cut slice of cheddar cheese into two or four equal parts to go onto the apple slices evenly. Place on top of peanut butter.
- Top with remaining apple slices.
Recipe By: Add A Pinch
Have a fun lunch idea? Let us know in the comments below!