*By: Megan Deppen*
One of my favorite family traditions growing up was dining at our uncle’s restaurant for Christmas Eve dinner. Not only was cousin fun and delicious food part of the nostalgia, but I also remember being so excited for the holiday dessert special, which was peppermint stick ice cream pie.
If you enjoy peppermint and a chocolate cookie crust, then you will fall in love with this dessert! It’s also a festive treat to bring to a party and super easy to prepare, requiring only a few ingredients. The challenging part is sometimes finding the main ingredient, which is the peppermint stick ice cream. It’s usually available around the holidays at most grocery stores, however this year a few stores didn’t have it. Thankfully, I was able to find it at Wegmans. If you are unable to find peppermint stick ice cream, don’t fret because you can improvise by mixing vanilla ice cream with crushed peppermints and that will work just as well!
Recipe courtesy of Pierre’s Ice Cream Company.
- 1 – ready-made chocolate or Oreo pie crust (You can also make your own chocolate crust if you’d prefer)
- 1 – 1.5 quart of peppermint stick ice cream
- Toppings of your choice such as crushed candy canes, chocolate syrup, hot fudge, whipped cream, etc.
1. If you’d prefer the crust baked, you can follow the directions on the ready-made pie and bake it in the oven or you can just leave the crust as is.
2. Next, let the ice cream thaw for about 5-10 minutes to soften. Then, scoop it into the pie crust and smooth it out.
3. Cover with lid or foil and put it in the freezer to harden.
4. Before serving, add your toppings and enjoy this festive holiday dessert!
Is there a holiday dessert you love? Leave us your comments below.