*By: Megan Deppen*
If you are looking for an easy-to-make comfort food, this Easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe will not disappoint! The ground beef adds an American twist to this classic British and Irish dish. Top it off with mashed potatoes and bake it to perfection and believe me you will be coming back for seconds.
- 3 large potatoes/peeled and quartered – I used Russet potatoes, but you can use the potato of your choice. 1 medium onion chopped
- 1-1/2 cups mixed vegetables
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel and quarter 3 large potatoes then place them in a pot with water just covering the potatoes and then bring them to a boil, then simmer them for about 20 minutes or until tender
- While the potatoes are cooking, chop a medium onion
- In a pan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and add in the onion and cook until the onion is translucent about 6-8 minutes
- Add in mixed vegetables. If you are using frozen vegetables, cook them according to the package directions and then add them to the pan with the onions.
- Add in the ground beef and cook until the meat has browned and then add in the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes . Then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile drain the potatoes and mash them and add in salt and pepper to taste
- Evenly spread the meat mixture onto a 13×9 casserole dish and place the mash potatoes over the meat mixture
- Bake for 30 minutes in the oven until the top has browned
- You can also add seasonings of your choice and grated cheese on top
Serve and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Simply Recipes.